fbpx
Everyone should do a TED-type talk. It focuses the mind in a way not dissimilar to mountain climbing or big-wave surfing: high risk, high reward, and thank God we are still alive at the end of it.  I prepared for these talks for 3 months, with the last month...
some new numbers on loneliness The health care insurer Cigna released a study last week stating that the vast majority of us in America are considered lonely. How did they arrive at that? Well, the UCLA Loneliness Study Scale classifies "lonely" as anyone who scores above a 43 on a...
"The German philosopher Hermann von Keyserling wrote in the epigraph to his 1919 book The Travel Diary of a Philosopher, 'The shortest path to oneself leads around the world.' Almost 100 years later, our research provides empirical evidence in support of this idea.” What exactly the social scientists from Rice...
wisdom and gravitas are not weapons I don’t feel particularly wise. True, I understand some things better than other people who have not worked in my field. After several years at the top of a profession, I have a new venture, a media startup. Every day I feel like a beginner,...
ultra adulthood “My mission is to find significance and to stop squandering the time I have been blessed with.” — from an email we received recently. Or as Seneca wrote, “The part of life we really live is small, for all the rest is not life, but merely time.” Old...
a friendship at any age Words: Amanda MedressI am 30 and my best friend Ines is 69. When out in the world together we attract attention; sometimes it’s curiosity, other times jealousy or disapproval. The disapproval confuses us most.  Since meeting via swing dancing four years ago, our friendship has...
From our Notebooks "If 80 percent of success is showing up, the other 20 percent is knowing when to leave. People would always say that I left Studio too early and Steve left too late. Steve would stay there because he loved it. I mean, to the bitter end. I was...
Curiosity As A Way Of Life If there’s one single characteristic of AGEIST people it is curiosity. It’s rather remarkable, every person we have spoken with has a deep-seated inquisitiveness. But as we think about it, how could it be any other way? I had the privilege to hear Brian...
In 1946, a 23-year-old Army veteran named John Goodenough headed to the University of Chicago with a dream of studying physics. When he arrived, a professor warned him that he was already too old to succeed in the field.Recently, Dr. Goodenough recounted that story for me and then laughed...