This keto coconut soup with a cast-iron salmon filet is a go-to when we’re craving something rich, creamy and savory, but want to be left feeling great afterward.
Hearty salmon and rich coconut milk are complemented perfectly by the bright, flavorful acidity from freshly squeezed lime. Add the curried spices, and you have an action-packed dish that might just transport you back to that youthful backpacking trip through East Asia.
And for what this soup packs in flavor, it matches in health benefits.
You probably know salmon is a great source of brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA). Your brain is literally made of these omega-3s. And DHA may be the most important brain nutrient of all. Scientists now believe DHA’s unique ability to convert sunlight into electricity was the foundation of all modern intelligence.
Turmeric, the main ingredient in curry powder, is the other health powerhouse in this recipe. Healthline calls turmeric one of the most effective health supplements in existence. It’s anti-inflammatory, as most of us know by now, and acts as a potent antioxidant. It can even increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which promotes neuron generation and can help fight age-related neurodegenerative disease. Turmeric’s active compounds are fat soluble and pair great with the fatty coconut milk and salmon.
Add some broccolini and asparagus, and you have a well-rounded serving of greens to boot.
A heavy dinner can leave you head-fogged and ready for bed. This dinner will do just the opposite. Bedtime reading here you come!
YIELD Makes about 2 servings
ACTIVE TIME 10 min
TOTAL TIME 15 min
SUPPLIES A seasoned cast iron pan, small soup pot and a lemon zester/grater for the lime
8 oz Atlantic salmon (2 small filets)
¼ lb asparagus
¼ lb broccolini
1 can Thai coconut milk
2 tbsp marjoram (or other fresh herb of choice)
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
Juice from ½ lime
CAST IRON: For salmon, asparagus and broccolini
- Pat salmon dry with paper towels
- Season salmon and vegetables with lime zest, salt, pepper
- Heat the cast iron over medium heat
- Put the broccolini, asparagus and finally the salmon in skin down
- Add a tablespoon of grass-fed butter and place some marjoram (an herb) on and around the salmon
- After salmon has cooked for 2-3 minutes, flip it
- Reposition and flip vegetables often for even cooking
- Remove salmon once cooked to desired temperature (3-4 minutes for medium)
- Discard the marjoram
- Save the melted butter and dripping to stir it into the soup (optional, but highly recommended)
SMALL SOUP POT: For coconut lime curry soup
- Put an entire can of coconut milk in pot
- Turn to medium and let slowly come to simmer
- Add a small bunch (~1 tbsp) of marjoram
- Squeeze and add juice of half lime
- Add curry powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, paprika, cumin
- Maintain low simmer until ready for plating
- Pour an inch or less of soup into a low, wide bowl
- Add salmon
- Garnish with broccolini and asparagus