Whether you’re a morning person or you hit snooze 5 times before getting up, this matcha chia seed pudding, packed with antioxidants and metabolism boosting properties, will leave you feeling energized and give you a glow from the inside out.
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tsp of matcha (use less if you are sensitive to caffeine or prefer a milder taste)
- 1 scoop of collagen powder
- Ceylon cinnamon, to taste
- Sweetener to taste (manuka/local honey, monk fruit, stevia)
- 1 cup of your choice of milk
- Top with: 1 tablespoon of nut butter, paleo granola, berries, Ceylon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix chia seeds and milk together until completely incorporated. To the chia seeds and milk, mix in the matcha, collagen, cinnamon, and sweetener to taste.
- Let the mixture sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until the chia seeds have absorbed the milk and have formed a gelatinous consistency. You can also prepare this the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Top with your favorite nut butter, granola, fruit, and cinnamon.
Why We Love These Ingredients
Chia seeds are full of goodness that will nourish your body. They contain omega-3 fatty acids which will keep your brain sharp and reduce inflammation, and fiber which will promote a healthy gut. When chia seeds are mixed with water, they form a gelatinous “pudding” texture that will take on whatever flavors you want to add. This makes it a wonderful breakfast to get creative with.
Matcha green tea powder is full of antioxidants and metabolism-boosting properties. You will notice a very steady energy boost from the caffeine that may make you feel much clearer and less jittery than when you drink coffee. If you are sensitive to caffeine, stick to a 1/2 tsp of matcha powder. But don’t let the caffeine scare you away! The structure of matcha allows for the caffeine to be slowly released into the bloodstream, so you won’t get that big spike of energy and eventual crash. When it comes to matcha, it is important to use a high quality option. I love the brand Ippodo because it is a family-run Japanese company that prioritizes the quality of their teas. Whatever brand you choose, make sure that the tea is a bright, vibrant green and not pale or yellow.
Collagen powder gives this breakfast some extra beautifying effects. Not only will collagen boost hair & nail growth, it also promotes joint health, provides the body with extra protein, and can aid in preparing the gut wall lining giving you a healthier digestive system.
Ceylon cinnamon helps to balance the blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and add some natural sweetness to the pudding. If you like a sweeter pudding, you can add manuka or local honey which will boost the immune system or monk fruit if you prefer a low sugar option.
Almond butter adds extra healthy fat and protein to this meal and makes it more satiating, leaving you feeling fuller for longer. Brazil nut butter is also a wonderful option if you want to boost your brain health with its selenium content.